This bill would require the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to establish a task force to study the effect of shadows cast on public parks by buildings constructed in the vicinity of such parks. The task force would study the effect of these shadows and issue a report on steps the City can take to mitigate negative consequences.
- Filed (End of Session)
Int. No. 737
By Council Members Levine, Cabrera, Constantinides, Johnson, Mendez, Rodriguez, Rosenthal, Garodnick and Eugene
A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to the creation of a task force to study the effect of shadows cast by large buildings over parkland.
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. Chapter one of title eighteen of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended by adding a new section 18-142 to read as follows:
§18-142 Task force on shadows cast by buildings over parks. a. There is hereby established a task force to study the effect of shadows cast on parks under the jurisdiction of the department by new or proposed building construction and to make specific recommendations to the mayor and council for the alleviation of negative consequences resulting from such shadows.
b. The task force shall consist of the following individuals, or designees thereof:
1. the commissioner, who shall be the chairperson;
2. the commissioner of buildings;
3. the commissioner of environmental protection;
4. the commissioner of housing preservation and development;
5. the chairperson of the city planning commission; and
6. such other members as the commissioner shall designate.
c. The task force shall:
1. hold at least one meeting every six months;
2. advise the mayor and council on new and planned building construction projects that may result in casting shadows over parks and the possible effects of such shadows;
3. identify and catalogue existing and planned building construction projects that may cast shadows over a park;
4. study the effect of the loss of sunlight resulting from such shadows cast over a park;
5. for each park, determine the size of the shadow cast on such park by buildings throughout the day; and
6. by December 31 of each year, provide to the mayor and the council a report which shall include an evaluation of the potential consequences of such shadows and recommendations to alleviate such consequences, including but not limited to changes to planned construction projects. Such report shall be made publicly available on the department’s website within ten days after the release of such report.
§2. This local law shall take effect 90 days after its enactment into law.
LS # 3471