This legislation would require the Department of Buildings (DOB) to audit ten percent of multiple dwellings constructed prior to 1969, in order to obtain information about party-wall balconies in the City, and submit a report by December 31, 2018 with the reports of such audit.
- Filed (End of Session)
Int. No. 356
By Council Member Rosenthal
A Local Law in relation to requiring the department of buildings to report on buildings which have party-wall balconies
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. By no later than December 31, 2018, the department of buildings shall, in conjunction with the fire department, conduct an audit of no less than ten percent of the buildings located within the city of New York constructed prior to the effective date of the 1968 building code of the city of New York and prepare and file with the mayor and council, and post on its website, a report on the results of such audit which shall include, but not be limited to:
1. The total number of audited buildings;
2. The number of audited buildings which have party-wall balconies, disaggregated by council district and age of the building;
3. The number of audited buildings which have fire escapes, disaggregated by council district and by age of the building;
4. For each audited building with a party-wall balcony, whether such balcony has been inspected within the last five years;
5. For each audited building with a fire escape, whether such fire escape has been inspected within the last five years; and
6. For each audited building which does not have a party-wall balcony or a fire escape, whether a previously existing party-wall balcony or fire escape was replaced by another means of emergency egress.
§ 2. This local law takes effect immediately.
LS #11157/Int. No. 1789-2017