This bill would require the Department of Transportation (DOT) to report on the status of the city’s street furniture program and the usage of the city’s global advertising space under its franchise agreement with the street furniture operator JCDECAUX, which acquired CEMUSA NY LLC in the fall of 2015.
- Filed (End of Session)
Int. No. 337
By Council Member Rodriguez
A Local Law in relation to requiring the department of transportation to report on the city’s street furniture program
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following terms have the following meanings:
Franchise agreement. The term “franchise agreement” means a franchise agreement entered into between the department and the street furniture operator setting forth the terms and conditions of the street furniture program.
Street furniture. The term “street furniture” means objects and pieces of equipment installed on public streets for public use, including, but not limited to, bus stop shelters, newsstands, automatic public toilets, trash receptacles and bike parking structures.
Street furniture operator. The term “street furniture operator” means any company that operates the city’s street furniture program pursuant to a franchise agreement.
Street furniture program. The term “street furniture program” means the design, construction, installation and maintenance of the city’s street furniture.
§ 2. Reporting requirement. a. The department shall report to the city council on the status of the services provided under the franchise agreement. This data shall include, but not be limited to, the status of the following:
(1) Maintenance of existing newsstands, including any repairs or upgrades performed on existing newsstands during the previous calendar year;
(2) Maintenance of existing bus stop shelters, including the number of times each bus stop shelter has been cleaned, has undergone snow removal, and has been repaired or upgraded during the previous calendar year;
(3) Construction and maintenance of other street furniture such as automatic public toilets, including the number of times such other street furniture has been cleaned, has undergone snow removal, and has been repaired or upgraded during the previous calendar year;
(4) Construction plans and timelines for new street furniture that is to be built pursuant to the franchise agreement;
(5) Utilization of the advertising space allocated to the city pursuant to the franchise agreement, including data on the domestic and international locations where advertising on behalf of the city is located and what percentage of the total allocated advertising space is actually being used;
(6) Any other updates regarding the street furniture program; and
(7) Except as otherwise provided by the franchise agreement, any other data already reported by the street furniture operator to the department.
b. Such report shall include a comparison of the data provided under subsection a against the performance obligations required under the franchise agreement and the department’s recommendations regarding the street furniture program for the following calendar year, including services that the street furniture operator should provide or improve.
c. On or before January 1, 2019, and on each January 1 thereafter for the remainder of the term of the franchise agreement, the department shall provide to the council a report containing the information required under paragraph b of this section. In addition, the department shall make such report available on its website in a non-proprietary format that permits automated processing.
§ 3. This local law takes effect immediately.
LS #825/Int. 1287-2016