This bill would establish an Office of Libraries in the Executive Office of the Mayor. The office would be headed by a director, who would be appointed by the Mayor. The libraries would include any branch of the New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, the Queens Public Library, or any other public library. The director of libraries would be required to submit to the Mayor and the Speaker an annual report no later than December 31, 2019 and annually thereafter, concerning the office’s activities during the previous year along with recommendations.
- Filed (End of Session)
Int. No. 700
By Council Members Van Bramer and Holden
A Local Law to amend the New York city charter, in relation to establishing an office of libraries.
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. Chapter one of the New York city charter is amended by adding a new section 20-e to read as follow:
§ 20-e. Office of libraries. a. There shall be established in the executive office of the mayor an office of libraries. The office shall be headed by a director, who shall be appointed by the mayor.
b. For the purposes of this section, “library” shall mean any branch of the New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, the Queens Public Library, or any other public library.
c. The director of the office of libraries shall have the power and the duty to:
1. convey to the mayor information related to the activities, concerns, and needs of the libraries;
2. act as the principal liaison between the mayor, the New York Public Library, the Queens Public Library, the Brooklyn Public Library, elected officials, and the public for all matters concerning libraries;
3. develop strategies for increasing awareness and promoting the activities and programs of the libraries to the public;
4. perform policy analysis and make recommendations concerning libraries;
5. develop methods to improve the coordination of services and programs concerning libraries;
6. develop measurable indicators which shall be used to assess the utilization and performance of libraries;
7. make recommendations to the mayor regarding funding needs of the libraries and upon agreement between the mayor and the council, ensure that expense and capital allocations are sufficient to meet the needs of the libraries; and
8. perform such other duties and functions as may be appropriate concerning libraries.
d. No later than December 31, 2019 and annually thereafter, the director shall submit to the mayor and the speaker of the council a report concerning the office’s activities during the previous twelve months and recommendations pursuant to subdivision c of this section.
§ 2. This law takes effect 120 days after becoming law.
LS 1788 / LS 1568