This bill would require the department of transportation to create a residential parking permit system for the neighborhood of East Elmhurst in Queens.
- Filed (End of Session)
Int. No. 898
By Council Member Moya
A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to the creation of a residential parking permit system in East Elmhurst
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. Subchapter 2 of chapter 1 of title 19 of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended by adding a new section 19-175.6 to read as follows:
§19-175.6 Residential parking permit system in East Elmhurst. a. The department shall create and implement a residential parking permit system in the neighborhood of East Elmhurst, which fixes and requires the payment of fees for parking within the area in which such parking system is in effect in accordance with the provisions of this section.
b. In creating such residential parking system, the department shall:
1. designate specific areas in which such parking system applies;
2. provide the times of the day and days of the week during which permit requirements
shall be in effect; and
3. make not less than twenty percent of all spaces within the permit area available to
non-residents and provide for short-term parking of not less than ninety minutes in duration in such area; and
4. provide that motor vehicles registered pursuant to section 404-a of the
New York vehicle and traffic law be exempt from any permit requirement; and
5. provide the schedule of fees to be paid for residential permits; and
6. provide that such fees shall be credited to the general fund of the city of
c. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no such residential parking permit shall be required on streets where the adjacent properties are zoned for commercial, office and/or retail use.
§ 2. This local law takes effect 120 days after it becomes law provided that the department may take such measures necessary for the implementation of this local law, including the promulgation of rules, prior to such date.